" I WILL NOT TAKE PRIDE IN BEING NEEDED BY PEOPLE BUT IN BEING WANTED BY GOD"

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Award of the Day...

...goes to me! That would be the "HAVE-YOU-LOST-YOUR-MIND-WHY-IN-THE-WORLD-WOULD-YOU-PUT-YOURSELF-THROUGH-SO-MUCH-TORTURE?" award.



How did this well-earned award come about? This past Monday I was put in the hospital for a severe sinus infection that I have been carrying around for months now. Nothing seems to help it get better. So I stayed there for two nights. I came home on Wednesday. Well, today I thought it would be a great idea to take the kids to town for an early lunch and some grocery shopping. What was meant to be a pleasant day turned into a nightmare - imagine that! I have been on so much medication that I kind of stay in a daze, but one of those medicines seems to make me turn into the Wicked Witch of the South! So our pleasant brunch together turned into me fussing over ketchup packs. Then our leisurely stroll through Wal-Mart with a 10 year old, three year old, one year old, one on the way and one heck of a sinus infection turned into a fight for mommy survival!

Halfway through the trip I thought "Hey... I will be nice. Why not stop and get the kids an Icey Coke and a cookie?" While I was purchasing this snack out of the goodness of my heart my children decided it was time to be very vocal and run around the store. I looked up at them to give them the "I-am-going-to -get-your-fanny" look which only worked for a split second. When I got back with their snacks the baby decides it would be fun to play ball with the cookies. The three year old thought running with her huge cup of Icey Coke would be fun till she crashed and Coke went everywhere. My ten year old must have been having a brain freeze because she just stood there and watched. So I had cookies flying, drinks spilling and a whole bunch of people staring. Ok... maybe just a few stares, but it felt like the whole store. I pulled myself together, gave all the children the angry-eyes and sat them down to finish their snack.

We made it through the rest of the trip with them minding half the time. At one point I lost my 10 year old and three year old. Actually, I knew where they were but they thought they lost me! We got the stare-down by one really nice lady that we were totally inconveniencing by even being in the store. Next time she sees us coming I am sure she will just go home. Well I could go on and on but I will stop here. I'm sure you can only image the things that took place in the checkout line! We made our way to the car and packed everyone up. I sat in my seat and presented myself with the "HAVE-YOU-LOST-YOUR-MIND-WHY-IN-THE-WORLD-WOULD-YOU-PUT-YOURSELF-THROUGH-SO-MUCH-TORTURE?" award.

1 comment:

Carrie David said...

Girl!! It is a harrowing experience to take two kids to the grocery store. But I can certainly sympathize. Kudos to you for not hibernating in your house until the kids are 18. I think you should get a gold star for even thinking about trying to grocery shop with three kids while pregnant. I love you!! Stay strong!!

slow down and just be

slow down and just be