" I WILL NOT TAKE PRIDE IN BEING NEEDED BY PEOPLE BUT IN BEING WANTED BY GOD"

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Becoming A Student of His Word

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

"Stay calm; mind your own business; do your own job. You've heard all this from us before, but a reminder never hurts. We want you living in a way that will command the respect of outsiders, not lying around sponging off your friends."

The other day I was talking to my husband on the phone. He was letting out some steam about something that had really gotten under his skin that day so his voice was... well, a little loud. Right as he let out a "loud sound" (if you know what I mean :), his phone went dead. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Oh, no! Something is wrong! Did he get in a wreck?" My 10 year old looked at me and could see the concern all over my face. She said " Okay - let's just don't freak out now. Let's stay claim."

Oh, how I need that on a loop on a big speaker in my house.

It turned out that he was fine and there was no need to freak. However, that's what I often do. That is why I picked the translation from The Message for today's study. I love how it starts off with the words, "STAY CALM."

Staying calm, minding your our business and doing your own job can be hard things for us women to do. I know that on some days staying calm just does not happen to me. I wake up freaking out and go to bed freaking out. This is the day I need my loud speaker playing really loud! Or is it that I need things to quiet down and listen to the ONE in me? He can control all things if I let Him. The problem is letting Him.

"Mind your own business!" has been said across playgrounds and homes for years. Don't be a person that can be called "The 411." Don't be know as the person that knows everything about everyone - there is no glory in it. It will make you become more focused on their flaws than the things in your life that you need to work on.

Lastly, "do your own job." God has a call for you and your call is not the same as mine. There are times I dream of an out-of-the-home job but that is not what God has called me to do. So when friends are talking about how they stop by Starbucks before they went to work then later took a lunch break with a friend, I remind myself that if I was doing that I would not be fulfilled because God did not call me to do that. So I choose to be happy with where God has placed me for this season of my life.

By these thing you will find favor with people and people will find Jesus. So go be YOU today and feel good about it.

No comments:

slow down and just be

slow down and just be